Hurricane Damage Claims
The devastation to homes and businesses caused by the high winds and storm surge brought by hurricanes and tropical storms can be financially crippling. Luckily, homeowners insurance policies and commercial insurance policies usually cover property damage caused by these extreme weather events. However, making an insurance claim for property damage after a hurricane can be both time consuming and confusing. Furthermore, insurance companies and their adjusters are highly trained in making sure that they pay the absolute minimum on these claims. As a result, disputes between home owners or business owners and their insurance companies are common in hurricane damage claims.
For example, here are some issues frequently encountered by home owners and business owners when dealing with their insurance companies during a hurricane damage claim:
- denial of the claim for an uncovered event
- undervaluing claimed damages
- partially denying claims that should be fully covered
- delaying payment of the claim by asking for additional unnecessary paperwork or evidence
- not returning phone calls or emails
- requiring the home owner or business owner to jump through unnecessary hoops which stalls the claims process
- offering settlements contingent on the home owner or business owner signing a “full” release when the insurance company is actually required to make supplemental payments.
The attorneys at Barrett Nonni & Homola are experienced in handling property damage claims against insurance companies when homes and businesses are damaged by hurricanes. You will not owe us a fee unless our attorneys are successful in winning your case. And, significantly, Florida law actually forces the insurance companies to pay the home owners’ and business owners’ attorney’s fees when their attorneys are successful. The Florida law which provides for the recovery of attorney’s fees in this type of situation can be found here.
If your insurance company is delaying or denying your hurricane damage claim, call the attorneys at Barrett Nonni & Homola at 850-601-1111 or fill out our free consultation form here, and they will fight the insurance company for you.